Book Review: Goddess

Goddess (Starcrossed #3)
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
Page Count: 432
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy, Greek Mythology

Holy crow - what a ride. This trilogy is certainly one of my favorites and this last novel was the perfect way to end things. There was heart pounding action, heart breaking moments, sarcasm galore, and swoon worthy kisses. I read the majority of this novel in one sitting; I couldn't put it down. Writing this review is bittersweet. It's always a bit sad when a beloved series ends. I'm sad to see Helen's story come to a close, but I am okay with walking away after reading Goddess. I feel like the story ended the way it needed to end and nothing was left unresolved. 

This review will also be difficult to write because so much happens in this novel, but I can't talk about it because it would spoil the read. From a plot stand point, I can tell you that things start a bit slowly. Helen starts to have some really odd dreams and it took me some time to piece together what was happening. Eventually, the dreams are explained and they will play an integral role in the story. After the third chapter, things really pick up speed. The battle scenes had my heart racing. I wasn't sure exactly what was going to happen and many moments took me by surprise. There were even a few tears shed. 

I really enjoyed how Angelini linked the present day story to Troy. We all know the story of the Trojan Horse and the fall of the city. I loved how the mythology was woven together with Helen, Lucas, Orion, and the rest of the Scions. I won't say more on that topic except that this novel is a mythology geek's dream.

The characters have truly made this series special for me. I grew to care about them and was fully invested in their lives. Helen hasn't been an easy girl to get along with through the entire journey, but she truly gets her chance to shine in this one.

Finally, I really loved seeing the Gods come out play. The epic battle between Olympus and the Scions is descriptive, imaginative, and thrilling. I loved that I couldn't predict what was going to happen next. In true Greek mythology fashion, there is joy and sadness. Prepare your heart for a wild ride.


One Last Gripe: The dream sequences annoyed me at first, but eventually I enjoyed them.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The connections to Troy

First Sentence: Helen could see what she guessed was the River Styx just off to her left.

Favorite Character: Hector

Least Favorite Character: Phaon



After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.

To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.

In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched.


Comments

  1. OOoh awesome!! I cannot wait to read this one either! Read the last one as an ARC, so it's been too long since I last read it!! Cannot wait though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and read my notes and reviews for Starcrossed and Dreamless so I could get my mind back into this world and its characters. I can't believe how much I missed them. It's been a whole year!

      Delete
  2. I just finished this one yesterday! I too read it in one sitting! My gosh it was amazing. I couldn't have imagined a better ending. Saying goodbye is sad though. Great review!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. It was so hard to write a review with no spoilers. I wanted to talk about specifics, but didn't want to ruin the novel for others. I agree - it was a perfect ending.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I have heard a whole damn LOT about the StarCrossed trilogy and I am so interested in finding out if it is as great as they say
    Probably, it is
    GREAT review, dear
    I am a HUGE fan of greek myths
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should certainly give this series a try if you're into mythology. I loved all three books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!