Book Boyfriend: Garrett McCaffrey


We decided that Thursday needed a little pizazz and stumbled on this meme while hanging out at one of our favorite blogs, A Book and a Cupcake. So we took ourselves over to The Unread Reader to see what it was all about and join the fun. The Unread Reader features this meme on Wednesdays, but we figured moving our participation to Thursday wouldn't hurt anything. We'd love it if you'd leave a comment if you participate in this so we can check out your book boyfriends as well. 

Garrett McCaffrey, from Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink by Stephanie Kate Strohm

My ideal Garrett is Penn Badgley.

Nicknames:
* Nerd
* Clark Kent

Appearance:
* Tall
* Scruffy
* Brown Eyes
* Clark Kent Look-Alike
* Wears Glasses 
* The author and I agree that Penn Badgley is a good candidate for Garrett (even though he doesn't wear glasses) - I do also think of him as a younger Wil Wheaton - they have similiar wardrobe tastes
* Has Hobbit Feet, but Don't Worry - He Keeps His Socks On


Facts About Garrett:
* Newspaper Reporter
* Wants to Investigate the Lettie Mae's ghost & ends up living there with Libby
* Science Fiction fan - bring on the Star Trek & Battlestar Galatica
* Saves Damsels in Distress from Barrels
* Has a set of Cool Nerd Tees
* Memorizes the Issue Numbers of Comic Books
* Likes Transformers Band-Aids

Quotes:
"But you know," he said seriously, "I might be wrong, but I think Mr. Darcy's first name was Fitzwilliam, not Sexypants. I did only get a B on that test, though, so I don't know..." (Garrett to Libby, Kindle Location 859)

He flipped to the back. "Lord Garrett McCaffrey - reknowned rake, skilled seducer, and expert spy - has finally met his match. For singer Libby Kelting may have the voice of an angel, but she will be no man's strumpet - no matter how handsome he is!"
"It does not say that!"
"Close enough." He shrugged. "Will you be my strumpet?" he asked sweetly.
"I'll strumpet you!" I hit him with the book.
"I'm pretty sure you can't use that as a verb."
(Garrett & Libby, Kindle Location 2089)

"Battlestar Galatica!" That was more of a declaration of outrage. He started fiddling with a flashlight, screwing and unscrewing the part where the batteries went in. "You know, Time Magazine named it one of the One Hundred Best Television Shows of All Time. It's been in the New York Times' Top Ten List every year since it debuted. And it's been nominated for several writing, acting, and directing Emmys, in addition to the ones it won for visual effects. I don't understand why this country has such a weird prejudice against science fiction. Because it involves interplanetary travel, it's automatically crap?" (Garrett speaks on Battlestar Galatica, Kindle Location 810-818

Why He's My Book Boyfriend:
Garrett is one of those hot nerds that never fails to steal my heart. Sometimes nice guys do get the girl. I saw so much of my husband's traits in Garrett. That may be why I was drawn to him. I also just loved how sweet and awkward he was with Libby. Their banter is awesome. It also doesn't hurt that the boy can make me laugh, he's a writer, and he digs history. Plus, how could you not fall for The Fifth Cylon?!?!


Comments