Book Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter
Published By: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: July 2010
Buy it at Amazon
Source: Library

It had been some time since I had read The Iron King so it did take me some time to get back into the story line. I was frustrated when I first began reading because I couldn't piece together everything that had happened in the previous book. Now that all three books are out I would suggest reading them all together instead of spaced out. I intentionally waited to read this one until the final book, The Iron Queen, had been released. I also struggled with how to write this review because I don't want to ruin the series for people who have not read it. I will try to be brief.

Julie Kagawa is a masterful story teller. As I read her books I am in awe that The Iron King was her first book. This novel reads like the work of someone who has been at the profession for quite some time. Her writing is flawless and flows swiftly yet smoothly. Kagawa is one of those writers that just has a natural gift. I am sure so much work goes into the crafting of her novels, but the novel reads so well it almost feels like magic creeping across the pages instead of black font.


This installment in the Iron Fey series begins with Meghan being held prisoner in the palace of the Winter Queen, Mab. Meghan made a bargain with one of the Winter Princes, Ash. A bargain made with the fey is one that must be upheld. Ash must struggle with his feelings for Meghan and his loyalty to his home and people. As a winter royal, he is not allowed to love the spawn of the summer court. To do so would be to turn his back on all he has ever known. 

I see this theme of forbidden love rise up in many YA novels these days. I wonder why readers (old and young alike) are drawn to the things we aren't allowed to have. I think that feeling is something we all experience and Kagawa does a wonderful job of making the reader feel the same tensions that her characters do.

This series also is one of the more creative spin on fey lore that I have ever seen. I like that it's not predictable. The characters, setting, and plot are highly engaging and keep me wanting more. These books always do a number on me though. They make me so anxious that I am often tempted to read ahead to see if things will end up the way I want them too. I am so nervous about how the next one is going to go. I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that something may happen to one of my favorite characters. As a writer, Kagawa certainly should decide the fate of her characters, but I can't help hoping she will leave some of them in tact with a happy ending.

I ended up giving this book 4 stars instead of 5 because it took awhile for me to get into the story. However, once I did I couldn't put it down.


One Last Gripe: This one didn't hook me in to the storyline as fast as the first book. I really didn't get invested completely until the middle, but then I couldn't stop reading until I knew how this one would end. Of course, it ended on a huge cliffhanger.

My Favorite Thing About The Book: The writing style - it is just beautiful, almost poetic in nature

First Sentence: The Iron King stood before me, magnificent in his beauty, silver hair whipping  about like an unruly waterfall. 

Favorite Characters: Puck, Grim

Least Favorite Character: Rowan



Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Comments

  1. I really want to read this series, its on my must read for this year.

    Here's an award Here's Your Award

    ReplyDelete
  2. @BLHmistress - It is a series I think you will love. It has a nice balance between romance and action. Thank you for the award. We are both really busy right now, but will work on it as soon as we can.

    @Awesomesauce - Thank you! We are honored. As I mentioned though we are both pretty busy right now, but we will work on it when we can. We also are so happy that you love Reading Lark. This has been so much fun for us. We love our followers and frequent visitors! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!