Friday Five 1/28/11

Friday Five is a meme from Eve's Fan Garden that we decided to participate in here at Reading Lark. We have several friends over at Eve's and wanted to support the work they do. We will feature the same topic that they do each week, but the original idea came from Cheryl Renee Herbsman's blog.

This week Eve's Fan Garden asks us...

What are five of your pet peeves related to books or reading?


Tevya:
1. It drives me crazy to have mixed hard/paperback books in a series. I can't stand to have the first few books in paperback and then buy the newest one(s) in hardback. I will usually end up purchasing the first ones in hardback to match.

2. I am very OCD about my bookshelves. My books are in order alphabetically by author, and within that category by series and by favorite. I hate when my bookshelves get mixed up or when I loan books out and end up with holes on my bookshelves. It drives me crazy.

3. I hate when a story that I'm really into is over too soon or when books in a series are too far apart and the wait is too long. I get so caught up in what I am reading. If there is not a good resolution or no HEA in a stand alone, it really upsets me. Cliffhangers in a series I get - makes you want the next one and keeps the story alive in your head while you're waiting....but please don't make the wait too long!

4. I don't like when I can't get into a book or the characters don't speak to me for some reason. I'm not a patient reader. A story needs to grab my attention right away, and it needs to keep my attention. I wish I was the kind of person who could keep reading even if I wasn't into the book, but I'm just not. There are too many books that I want to read. If I can't get into a story, I just move on to the next one on my list. (Which will make my job as a reviewer/blogger very difficult. I'm already facing this challenge with my current read.)

5. It bugs me when people judge a book based on the movie. 'Nuff said. ;)

Andrea:
1. I hate when people talk to me while I am trying to read.

2. I hate when people bash on genres. It is fine to not like something, but no need to be rude about it.

3. I am irked when books drag on for too long.

4. I dislike books that focus on romance and not plot.
5. I get easily frustrated by shallow characters and predictable plots.

Comments

  1. I hate when I have the paperback of the first few in the series and then the rest of the books in hardcover also. It just bugs me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gina - Much to my husband's dismay, I have two sets of my favorite series specifically because of the hardback/paperback issue. But I've found that it allows me to loan out the paperbacks without worry and keep the hardback set all nice and pretty. It's a convenient excuse. ;)

    Thanks for taking the time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I agree with so many of these!! And the ones on Eve's page!

    I am a bit of a fanatic about hardbacks. If I start buying in hardback, I want them all to be that way.... AND they MUST be first edition. If I happen to buy the book in paperback, I won't rest until I have it in hardback too :)

    Great post!

    Kat @ A Journey in Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can think of at least three books I've read in the past 6 months (there's probably more) where the narrator & his/her girl/boyfriend drift apart in book 2 after getting together in book 1, and then they get back together right at the end of book 2. Last night I came across that and wanted to throw the book across the room. So annoyed.

    And the paperback/hardcover thing really bugs me, too. Happened to me with the Vampire Academy series. the only reason I have a hardcover copy of book 5 is cause I won it and it's signed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my husband has that hardback/paperback issue. I don't seem to have that problem...

    My bookshelves would scare you all! Wanna come over and put them into ABC order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kat - Isn't if funny how a lot of us have the same pet peeves?

    @Lindsay - The love interests thing drives me crazy! I know why the wedge is in there, I get the suspense, and the tension and all that... but I just want them to be together.

    @JavenStar - I would love to come organize your bookshelf! That is my idea of a fun day! (No, for real...I'm being serious!)

    Thanks everyone for taking the time to stop by and comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My biggest is when the darn book ends. Sometimes I will honestly put down a book b/c I am like 15 pages from the end and I dont want it to end. I emailed an author one night because I was mad the book was about the end!

    @Tev I am the total opposite. I wish I could quit reading a book I am not into. I feel a moral obligation to finish the book no matter what or how long it takes me. I also do not have the ability to read more than one book at a time so this is hard sometimes!

    @Andrea: I AGREE! Judging a book by its GENRE! I promise I won't go on a Brook rant but I am just saying that no one wants to have this conversation with me. My husband found out the hard way!

    I prefer paperbacks but love how hardcovers stand up nice! So hard to choose!

    I want to own all books as ARCs, paperback & hardback. I have a serious problem!

    This was fun ladies! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by Min! I know how you feel about ARC, paperback, and hardback. And while we're at it, let's try ebook copy as well now that I have my Nook. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!