Book Review: The Hollow


The Hollow
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: September 2009
Page Count: 544
Buy it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or IndieBound
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal


What would you do if your entire world fell apart? Everything you know is gone? Worst of all – you don’t even know why.

This is exactly what Abbey must deal with before she begins her Junior year of high school. Abbey’s best friend, Kristen, has vanished near the Sleepy Hollow bridge and nobody knows if she will return. Most people believe that she’s dead and gone, but Abbey can’t just accept that she will never see her friend again. However, Abbey has to learn to accept that fact when Kristen’s body is fished out of the Crane River.

Abbey withdraws further into herself rather than dealing with her feelings about Kristen’s death. It’s not until she meets a handsome stranger in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery that Abbey begins to feel emotions again. Caspian captures Abbey’s attention immediately and she can’t stop herself from wanting to know more about him. Her visits to the cemetery become more frequent as she hopes to stumble upon him.

However, life is rarely exactly as it seems. Abbey soon learns that everything she thought she knew may not be the truth. She begins to doubt Kristen, Caspian, and herself.


I found The Hollow to be a truly mesmerizing story about love and betrayal. Jessica Verday does an amazing job of capturing teen angst and putting it into a unique setting and plot. I love the fact that the book is deeply steeped in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I have to admit that was the original reason I picked this book up. I have always loved this particular legend and was super excited to see an author had decided to revive the story in their own way. Reading this novel makes me want to know more about this small town. I might even have to talk my husband into planning a visit!

I was frustrated when the book ended and there were so many things that were still unresolved in my mind. However, I am sure these loose ends will be tied up with the release of books #2 and #3 in the near future. Book #2 is set to be released in Fall 2010 and Book #3 will hit the shelves Fall 2011. I’m not sure how I’m going to wait that long! I need more Caspian!




Comments